« Home | Jim Lampley: Still Nuts » | There's No Crying in Politics » | MU Nickname Garbage » | Broder: I <3 McCain » | More on the Senate Compromise » | What Does Newsweek Really Think of the US? » | Stupid Senate Deal » | My Own Summer » | This Jet Set Life is Going to Kill Me » | Let's Talk Extreme » 

Thursday, May 26, 2005 

Celebrity Authoritarians

Man, I read the news this morning and didn't find anything worth writing about. But the Huffington Post comes through again.

Laurie David is the woman that comedian Larry David puts his penis into. That qualifies her to lecture the rest of us on the environment and global warming. In this wonderful post, she says that Americans should follow the lead of Japan's Toyota Motor Company and not wear suits to work. The energy saved by not running the AC at work will help save the world from that dastardly global warming. This is the problem with the vast majority of environmentalists. They deal only in absolutes. If something might have a harmful effect on the environment, ban it. Nobody can do it anymore. They don't believe in cost-benefit analysis. And they don't believe that you have the right to live your life as you see fit within the confines of the law. I like wearing a suit. I look good in a suit. I will continue to wear mine any damn time I please.

Just so you don't think I'm close-minded, I checked out the link at the bottom of her post. I honestly didn't know much about the environment, energy policy, and the global warming issue until about 2 years ago. I started reading a lot about these things, looking to what different sources say, and looking at raw data (most important). That website is full of items to take note of. For example...

"...in Colorado, where an elementary school is purchasing 100% of its electricity from wind power (saving 420,000 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere per year)..."

There's an interesting side effect from wind power plants. They kill a lot of birds. A large wind farm is a wonderful way to chop up birds and disperse them across the landscape. Cost-benefit analysis, nature lovers.

"From the vanishing glaciers in Montana..."

Let's put some numbers on these statements. I don't think I've ever heard an environmentalist talk about melting glaciers and cite quantities. There are 160,000 glaciers in the world. About 67,000 of them have been inventoried, but only a few have really been studied in great detail. How many are melting? Give me a number or a percentage.

"...and wild fire outbreaks in California, the impacts of global warming are a part of daily life across the United States."

Christ on a stick. Forests in Cali, like those wonderful Redwoods these people love to hump, are dependent on forest fires. Redwood seeds are incredibly tough and only burst open in intense heat (fire). Forest fires are essential to the management and health of forests.

Maybe I'm wrong. I, unlike these people, am willing to say "I don't know." I just know what I've read, what contradictions I've seen, and what questions never ever get answered by these people. Until I do know, I am not going to force massive changes onto everyone else. I am not going to make my opinions or feelings the policy of the nation and the world. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going outside to enjoy the lovely weather.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile