« Home | This Jet Set Life is Going to Kill Me » | Let's Talk Extreme » | The Friday Morning Tradition » | The Power of Language » | Cowboy Capitalism » | It's So Easy to Hate the Media » | Owen, Brown, Pryor, et al » | Fell Off the Face of the Earth » | ... » | Walter E. Williams on How Not to Be Poor » 

Monday, May 23, 2005 

My Own Summer

I have to be at school in a few hours for the first day of summer school. I figured that taking one class wouldn't kill me. It's a five week run, four days a week, a little under two hours per class. Class starts at 7:15 AM but I can handle that. Basically, I just stay up all night, go to class, sleep in the afternoon, blow my brains out for being so fucked up, and repeat. I know, this is the worst system ever. If I can get back on a normal human sleep schedule, I will.

From the looks of the first two assignments posted online, I will have about 40 pages of reading a night. No big deal. I can do that standing on my head. So far, the first 40 pages have been really interesting actually. Trusts and Estates is one of those topics that most people would rather not talk about. I think it's pretty interesting actually. There were only two cases, a basic overview of the probate process, and a few articles. The articles discussed inheritance, wills, estate tax, and things like that. They included a short article by Irving Kristol, one of the modern Neo-con idols. He argued that most liberals that favor a large estate tax don't do it out of genuine desire to equalize younger generations; they just want the money in government hands so they get to spend it how they see fit. He cites rejection by many liberal policy makers of limits that place a maximum on amount inherited by a single person. Another article discussed how it is the cultural differences and opportunities wealthy children have that really benefit them, not the money they inherit later in life. Seems plausible. They get to go to better schools, get tutors, and have better access to technology. And they are socialized into an environment that teaches them how to invest money, how to save money, and how to make sound financial decisions.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the remainder of my summer. Class will be over by July, so I will have a nice chunk of free time available. I'd like to take at least one trip. I've had absolutely horrid luck with planning trips in the past two years. Something always comes up, someone can't go, or some other problem pops up. Hopefully, I can remedy that. I'll probably just do a lot of reading. In the two weeks I've had off, I've gotten through 4 books. I might even get an early start on my fall law work. Who knows.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile