« Home | Beer Review: New Glarus Copper Kettle Weiss » | When Judges Attack » | Same Day PBA Audio » | Judicial Election Ads » | Trimming the Exclusionary Rule » | Point of Liquid Interest » | Well, I Missed the Marriage Debate... » | Goof Calls for Supreme Court Killings » | Seventh Circuit Review » | Beer Review: Samuel Adams Winter Lager » 

Friday, November 03, 2006 

Beer Review: Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest

This is a great season for beers, with many Oktoberfests and seasonals on the market. I feel like I've been lagging behind on my reviewing duties. Hopefully, I can pick up the pace in the near future. I picked up a six pack of Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest at the local boozery a short while back. I used it mostly to make beer bread, but I have a few left for personal consumption.

This Oktoberfest pours beautifully. It's got a rusty-amber color with a moderate amount of head that laces the rim of the pint glass. There isn't much aroma though. It's slightly malty, slightly sweet, but there's not much there. The taste is pretty underwhelming. Mirroring the aroma, it's slightly malty and sweet, emphasis on the "slightly." I can't taste hops at all. The body is surprisingly light. It reminds me of a macrobrew, which isn't a compliment. It's incredibly drinkable, but that's on account of the lack of any real flavor or character. I could see this as a better summer beer than a fall or winter beer. It's light enough to have a few on a hot afternoon. Unfortunately, it's just not a good Oktoberfest. This is the perfect beer for a popped-collar, Bud Light drinking goon who wants to look cool and beer-savvy by drinking an Oktoberfest. I'd pass on it.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile