« Home | When Judges Attack » | Same Day PBA Audio » | Judicial Election Ads » | Trimming the Exclusionary Rule » | Point of Liquid Interest » | Well, I Missed the Marriage Debate... » | Goof Calls for Supreme Court Killings » | Seventh Circuit Review » | Beer Review: Samuel Adams Winter Lager » | Timing Matters » 

Friday, November 03, 2006 

Beer Review: New Glarus Copper Kettle Weiss

I am a huge beer snob/nerd. Here's some evidence. For months, I have seen the Copper Kettle Weiss variety listed on the side of New Glarus beer cases. However, I couldn't find it in any stores. I assumed that it was a seasonal, but I was also angered that New Glarus would list it on the side of their cases. That's just unfair. It taunted me for the better part of a year. My beer nerdery was in full effect last night when I got legitimately excited to see the Copper Kettle Weiss available at a local bar. Glorious.

This one had me at hello. It has a strong wheat-lemon aroma that one would expect from a dunkel weiss. It's sort of yeasty too. It has a murky, cloudy orange-gold color to it. The head is thick and strong. The wheat and malt flavors are incredible. It's almost invigorating. The flavors really attack your taste buds, activating them and making them sort of tingle. This is no watery beer. The carbonation may be too much for some people, but I thought it was perfect. It works well with the balance of sweetness and the slight bitterness from the hops. The Copper Kettle Weiss reminds me of a Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, but better. This is an October seasonal, so get it while you can. If I had the means, I'd have a half barrel on tap. I'll settle for picking up a six-pack the next time I'm out.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile