« Home | Add MULS to the List » | Law Professors Against Roberts » | I Have a Migraine... » | Sick Hatred » | Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity » | Scalia » | Praise from Caesar » | Roberts » | Message to the Hurricane Looters » | The Campus » 

Friday, September 02, 2005 

Beer Review: Unibroue Don de Dieu

This is a Canadian beer named after the ship of Samuel de Champlain, founder of Quebec. The color is a bright gold that looks refreshing. The aroma is fruity. I think that citrus is the dominant smell, but I am also picking up hints of berries. As it hits your lips, the beer has a sour taste. There is a heavy orange and lemon flavor. It burns on the way down... a lot. The aftertaste is a weaker version of the initial taste. Why does it burn? Because it is 9% alcohol per volume. It's a Triple Wheat Ale, similar to the Belgian Triples that are becoming more and more popular in import bars. If you haven't had a Triple before, here is what it is like... Take your favorite Weisse beer, pour a pint, then dump in two or three shots of rum. It's a mule kick. Don't drink it on an empty stomach.

I don't think that Don de Dieu is that great of a beer, especially when compared to other Triples. I think that people drink Triples for two reasons: the high alcohol content and the flavors. There are some incredibly complex and vibrant flavors in these beers. I think that they are as varied as wines. In fact, they are often paired with certain entrees and certain courses in the way that a wine would be. Don de Dieu lacks the pleasing flavors of something like a Delerium Tremens. And when the price is factored in, the Don de Dieu is just not worth it. I wouldn't turn one down if it was free, but I doubt I would pay for one again.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile