« Home | That Comic Thing » | I Love Protesters » | Gregory Stanford's Supreme Court » | Souter Keeps His House » | Bork on Breyer » | Mr. Excitement » | Times Change... in a Few Ways » | Beer Review: Honey Creek Pale Ale » | Beer Review: Greenfield American Light Ale » | Let the Speculation and Rumors Begin » 

Monday, February 06, 2006 

MySpace: The Movie

This is brilliant social commentary.

If you don't know what MySpace is, consider yourself lucky. MySpace is the bastard spawn of everything I hate about modern culture. According to the website...
MySpace is an online community that lets you meet your friends' friends. Create a private community on MySpace and you can share photos, journals and interests with your growing network of mutual friends!
It's much more than that. It is the "creative" outlet for every teenage and early 20's attention whore with an internet connection.

Your pictures on your profile are probably the most important part of your MySpace persona. The MySpace picture pose is incredibly important. You can't have a straight shot of your face. No way. Angles, baby. It's all about angles. You don't have to go the blurry route. One would think that the lepers on MySpace would go the Zapruder route, keeping things out of focus and hard to see. Unnecessary. The proper angle will shrink the size of your nose, hide unsightly acne, or conceal just plain ugliness. The friend in the movie has this down; he knows all the tricks. Take a few pictures of areas of the face, then a few ass, leg, and chest (cleavage for the ladies and abs for the guys) shots, and you're golden.

Sure, you can use MySpace as a blog website and that's fine. I'm pro-blogging, go for it. However, the level of narcissism on MySpace is it's major fault. It's built on a "look at me" idea that's just a little too desperate. It's not usually about what you have to say (like a more tradition blog), it's what you look like and to a lesser extent what stuff you like. It's meat market blogging at best. I guess that any blog site could be used like a MySpace profile. I could add a bunch of angled, pouty, emo pictures of myself to ED. I won't because 1. I would rather let my words speak for me and 2. I don't think anyone wants to see that. If you're that interested in seeing me, stop by the law school. I'm there four days a week.

I really can't accurately describe the entirety MySpace to you. You have to see it yourself. You have to spend time browsing profiles and reading them. Then weep for the future.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile