« Home | Alito and Roe » | Profound Legal Statements » | I Found Out Why I'm the Healthiest Person I Know » | More on Campaign Finance Reform » | Can Marquette Be Far Behind? » | The Neverending FMLA Attacks on Alito » | * » | I Heard the Word "Salami" Tonight... » | Diamond Jim Strikes Again » | Beer Review: Leinenkugel's Original » 

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 

Black Friday

We're over a week into November, and that only means one thing: we're getting close to Black Friday. In case you're kind of oblivious or dense, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. Every major retailer has insane sales and opens at the crack of dawn to throngs of bargain seekers. What a country.

I have gone shopping on Black Friday for the past 4 years. I love it. I love watching adults act like morons, trying desperately to find some hunk of crap their kid wants (and save $10 on it too). It's incredible theater. I can't sleep anyway, so I have no problem leaving the house at 5 AM to stand in Best Buy's parking lot.

I know there are a bunch of hippies and anti-consumerist folks out there who want you to buy nothing on this day. It's some kind of boycott, days of yore, 60's protest action apparently designed to make you think about what you spend money on. I think it's an attempt to screw over the companies personally. I don't fall for it though. Why? Because I am the only person that I know who has all of his Christmas shopping done by noon on the day after Thanksgiving. I get everything cheap, I buy stuff for myself, and I get it done in a single morning. You can't beat that with a stick. Damn, I love the free market economy.

Speaking of Christmas (I know it's early), I have a song recommendation for anyone in the holiday mood. iTunes has recently added for sale the greatest Christmas song of all time: The Pogues "Fairytale of New York." I highly suggest that you cheapskates drop the 99 cents and buy it. The music is beautiful, and I think it is the only Christmas song with the words "slut" and "faggot" in it. That's got holiday magic written all over it.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile