« Home | 12th Circuit? » | Dominique de Villepin Doesn't Care About Black People » | Machine Gun Sammy? » | We're Number 100! » | Pathetic » | Correction: My Birthday Present » | Top 5... Make that Top 4 » | John Stossel Must Read Eminent Domain » | Alito Attack Du Jour » | UWEC's War on Religion » 

Saturday, November 05, 2005 

Beer Review: Leinenkugel's Original

I'm kicking it old school tonight. Nothing fancy. Just beer. Leinenkugel's Original is one of those beers that doesn't get much attention anymore. Leine's just has so many varieties that most people have a niche beer that they prefer. The Honey Weisse is very popular. Every beer drinking girl that I know likes the Berry Weisse. I have an affinity for the Big Butt Dopple Bock. But there is something to be said about simplicity. Sometimes you don't want all those frills and extras. You just want a good beer. Leinenkugel's Original is a good, basic beer.

The Original has a beautiful golden color. It isn't clouded or muddled at all. There isn't much of an aroma. It's not fragrant like the Honey or the Berry. That sort of lulls your tastebuds into a slumber. The first taste is surprisingly good. It's crisp when it hits your tongue; there's a mild bite to it. But it goes down smooth and easy. The aftertaste is not so strong that it lingers annoyingly. Each drink is very refreshing.

Leinenkugel's Original is a good cornerstone beer. It's the kind of beer that you would keep stocked in the fridge for casual drinking. I doubt that I would pick this beer as something to take to a party. I would prefer something a little more exotic with a little more personality. But different situations call for different beers. The Original is the beer that you have while you are grilling in your backyard on a Saturday night or with dinner whenever.

I plan on getting my hands on that new Leine's Apple Spice in the very near future. A beer that can be served hot or cold? Sign me up.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile