« Home | This is Just Beautiful » | Nominee on Friday? » | Judge Sykes » | LGF Protest Slide Show » | Cato on Big Government » | Judge Batchelder Speech » | Congratulations, War Protesters » | Feeling Low » | Written Questions » | Septembeer Fest » 

Thursday, September 29, 2005 

Misc. Supreme Court Post

The previously mentioned debate is tomorrow at the law school. Ok, it's today technically since it's 1:30 AM. No rest for the wicked.

The Moss/McAdams debate on the soon-to-be Roberts Court happens at noon. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. It's a little tough to debate a currently non-existent court. No one really knows what Roberts will be like as Chief. We can all theorize and that's fun, but it's all speculation. I guess previous decisions can be discussed, the committee hearings can be examined, and Roberts' writings can be critiqued. But whatever the professors decide to focus on, I'm sure it will be interesting.

I'm getting to school early tomorrow to finish my afternoon reading so I can attend this. I could cross my fingers and hope the debate ends with enough time to squeeze in the reading before class, but that's going to be a race with the devil. There is another Supreme Court discussion called "Forecasting October Term 2005" on 10/6. Profs Czarnezki, Rofes, Oldfather, and Hylton will discuss some of the big cases the Court will hear. That should be interesting. And there's free food. Free food puts asses in the seats.

When I have time, I'll run through the cases that the Court already granted cert to. I would've done it Tuesday when they were announced but I was busy dealing with "the ugliness." I know there is at least one campaign finance case in there. C'mon, Court. Drive an oak stake into the heart of that abominable restriction on free speech. I also read somewhere that the Solicitor General has asked the Court to examine partial birth abortion laws next Spring. Stenberg v Carhart was 5-4, and O'Connor was the fifth vote. Her replacement will be on the Court by then. If Kennedy doesn't get jittery and Roberts and Justice X are who Bush thinks they are, I think the partial birth abortion bans could be upheld. Then NOW, Ralph Neas, and Nan Aron have a mental breakdown.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile