« Home | Burning Man » | A Question of Age » | Am I Weird? » | Beer Review: Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest » | Marathon Days » | Uh Oh » | 2008 Straw Poll: Republican Presidential Candidate » | Hiatus Over » | Just a Quick Post » | Hiatus » 

Thursday, August 25, 2005 

There are More Kelo Posts on My Blog than Any Other Topic

Ann Althouse spotted this backpedal by Justice Stevens, author of the Kelo opinion.

I do say "spotted" even though it is in the NYT, because I refuse to read the NYT and therefore would not see what would normally be a prominent story. I just really can't stand that newspaper.

I think there is a big problem when a decision from last term is called unwise by the author of the majority opinion. I hope that means that this issue will be revisited by the Court in the near future and corrected. I think that saying planned development counts as public use is a bit of a stretch. Maybe this comes from a basic distrust of government bodies (especially ones in Milwaukee), but I don't think that the public interest is always priority number one for city planners. There have been more than a few sweetheart deals in this city concerning development (Michael Cudahy, I'm looking in your direction)and it seems like the connected few are taking advantage of positions of power.

I look forward to talking about Kelo in Land Use and Development next semester.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile