« Home | Marathon Days » | Uh Oh » | 2008 Straw Poll: Republican Presidential Candidate » | Hiatus Over » | Just a Quick Post » | Hiatus » | Kneel Before Eisner » | Nanotechnology » | Let the Slime Begin » | Fashion » 

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 

Beer Review: Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest

After my very long day at school, I'm going to enjoy a cold beer before bed. Hacker-Pschorr's Weisse is a popular import and is on tap even in chain restaurants. I love the Weisse and it is one of my favorites. It's light, refreshing, and has a crisp taste. When I can get my hands on the Original Oktoberfest, I jump at the opportunity. The OO is no Weisse. It is a medium dark brown beer. It is more rust colored than golden. Think somewhere between MGD and an Irish stout. The OO doesn't have much of an aroma. There is almost an absence of any smell, like a beer vacuum. When in the mouth, the taste is fairly light. After you swallow, it hits you. There is a bite and then the very full bodied flavor hits your throat. The aftertaste coats your mouth and lingers. That's a nice way of saying you get major beer breath.

The first time I had OO, my Weisse-fan friend asked me out of curiosity what it tasted like. I said that it tasted like how a beer should taste. You know that stereotypical "beer" taste, that idealized flavor? That's what OO is. I got this in a good import bar once, Romans' Pub. It came in a big beer mug. I felt like Homer Simpson drinking down at Moe's. I loved it. I highly recommend picking up Original Oktoberfest.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile