« Home | The Losers Club » | The Zeidler Thing » | There are More Kelo Posts on My Blog than Any Othe... » | Burning Man » | A Question of Age » | Am I Weird? » | Beer Review: Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest » | Marathon Days » | Uh Oh » | 2008 Straw Poll: Republican Presidential Candidate » 

Friday, August 26, 2005 

Sleep

I haven't been able to sleep for the past 5 years. Well, let me change that a bit. I haven't been able to sleep regularly in the past 5 years. I blame higher education because this all started when I was a college freshman. It was much, much worse then. I would be awake for 3 days straight. And I mean awake. I spent hours upon hours on the internet. I watched a lot of DVDs (which contributed to my DVD buying addiction). I took a lot of late night walks. I was lucky to have a friend on my floor who decided to get into speed for a while, so he was up too. We would often walk to a controlled intersection late at night and push the Push To Walk button right as a car approached. Believe it or not, those buttons do work. The light would turn red and the driver had no idea that two UWEC morons were the cause. That usually occupied us for about an hour. After I reached the point of exhaustion, my body would say "fuck this, I'm done" and I would pass out for a solid 12 hours. This went on for 4 months.

It has never been that bad again. Right now, I am tired physically and mentally. I've been at school for 10 hours. If I wasn't in class, I was reading for class. It's been a long day. Everything about it tells me I should be ready for bed. I'm not. I haven't been all week. I have been getting to sleep between 2:30 and 3:30 AM this week. At most, I get 5 hours of sleep. The whole situation is just a mess.

I only have one more day of school, consisting of 2 classes. I'm going to get my Tuesday reading for Environmental Law done and then go home. I plan on breaking out the grill, making some food, having a beer or two, and relaxing. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to take a nap. Cross your fingers.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile