« Home | Socialized Health Care in Canada » | Misc » | DDT » | California Courts » | Volokh on Climate Change » | Batman Begins » | New Hitch Column » | PETA » | Gitmo Part 2 » | Sometimes Truth Defies Reason » 

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 

Flag Burning

The House passed an amendment that would outlaw flag burning.

I'm against this amendment. I think it becomes hard to enforce. What are the limits? Is it just for cloth flags? What about a flag-sized picture of the flag? What about a t-shirt with the flag on it? It just seems like a lot of gray area that will be full of Con Law headaches.

Don't get me wrong. I personally think that burning the flag is reprehensible behavior. It's usually done by people who have no idea how good they have it here. They throw a little tantrum, burn a flag, and think they are oh-so radical. I've held this position, which I will continue to hold: You are free to burn the flag, and I am free to think that you are an ignorant piece of shit.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile