« Home | PBS » | Flag Burning » | Socialized Health Care in Canada » | Misc » | DDT » | California Courts » | Volokh on Climate Change » | Batman Begins » | New Hitch Column » | PETA » 

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 

Durbin's "Apology"

I mentioned this yesterday, but I only heard about it second hand. After reviewing what he actually said, I realized something. This is not an apology.

Here's what he said: Some may believe my remarks crossed the line. To them I extend my heartfelt apologies. There'’s usually a quote by Abraham Lincoln that you can turn to in moments like this. Maybe this is the right one. Lincoln said "“If the end brings me out right what is set against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong ten thousand angels swarming at his right won'’t make any difference."” In the end I don't want anything in my public career to detract from my love of this country, my respect for those who serve it, and this great Senate. I offer my apologies for those who were offended by my words, I promise you that I will continue to speak out on the issues I think are important to the people of Illinois and to the Nation. Mr. President, I yield to the floor.

Bold Number 1: "Some may believe." Notice he didn't say "I believe." That's because he doesn't believe that he said anything wrong.

Bold Number 2: That first part of the Lincoln quote is telling. It's Durbin's way of saying that he may be proven right, so nothing that anyone says about him matters.

Bold Number 3: He apologizes to "those who were offended." That means that if you were offended, it's your problem. I normally have no problem with that. I think that it is my problem that I was offended by his stupid comment. But this is not an apology. He at no time says that he was wrong for saying what he said. He doesn't think that he was wrong. Durbin stood by what he said for days. I think that pressure from people at home including mob boss - I mean Mayor Daley. This is just a way to get the heat off of himself. Pathetic.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile