« Home | Slacking » | Tucker Max Wins! » | Excellent Paul Clement Post » | Judge Becker's Funeral » | Eight in a Row » | Blogging Welcome » | The Bush Bench » | Thomas' Revenge » | Better in Black » | America and the Courts: Paul Clement » 

Sunday, May 28, 2006 

No Quiet Weekend

You would think that Memorial Day weekend would be slow for legal news... not if you're over at Confirm Them. This post and the comments are blowing up. The rumors have been gathering for a while about a possible Supreme Court vacancy at the end of the term. If Bill Kristol (who called the O'Connor retirement) is dropping hints, who knows what's going to happen? The two vacancy rumor is really catching steam. It would be a shock to the legal community, that's for sure. It's not unheard of though. Nixon had two simultaneous appointments during the 70's.

A Stevens-Souter retirement would be incredible. Unfortunately I, like many commenters on Confirm Them, think that President Bush may screw that up royally. The Miers nomination is still fresh in many minds. It's just a creepy thought. There is such a long list of people who could be appointed that are so much more worthy of the position. The bench is deep, deeper than it has been in a long time. Even a single vacancy can remake the Court in ways that will have effects for decades.

If there is a vacancy or two and Bush wants to save his second term, he can do it. Strong judicial nominations to the Court will bring his base back to life. Based on all of these rumors, this could be a very interesting Summer. Until there is definitive news, I will be waiting with baited breath.

EDIT: Pick your favorites:
McConnell
Estrada
Cantero
Easterbrook
Williams
Sykes

Callahan
Mahoney

“SOMEWHERE IN A SURREAL SUPERTERRESTRIAL TWILIGHT”

JRB
Robert P. Young

“I WONDER WHY I HAVE NOT HEARD OF MORE”

Paul Clement
The bolds get my immediate "thumbs up". I really want to believe the Miguel Estrada hype, but I want more than rumors, nicknames, and feelings from collegues. I'd love to see his SG's office memos (and I'm not even a Senate Democrat)...

If the Frank Easterbrook rumors are true... wow. I would pay to watch him take on the Senate Judiciary Committee. He is not going to take Joe Biden's crap for half an hour.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile