« Home | Blogging Welcome » | The Bush Bench » | Thomas' Revenge » | Better in Black » | America and the Courts: Paul Clement » | Scalia and Alito Around Town » | Judge Becker Dies » | Senate Grudge Match » | Two People I'd Love to Have Over for Dinner » | Straight from the Luttig's Mouth » 

Monday, May 22, 2006 

Eight in a Row

The Supreme Court issued its eighth straight unanimous opinion today in Brigham City v. Stuart. I'll let the AP sum it up because I'm tired...
Justices said that a "melee" that Brigham City, Utah, police officers saw through a window early one morning in 2000 justified rushing in without knocking first.

"The role of a peace officer includes preventing violence and restoring order, not simply rendering first aid to casualties; an officer is not like a boxing (or hockey) referee, poised to stop a bout only if it becomes too one-sided," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote.
Come on, Court. Give me something here... a blistering dissent, a heated 5-4 decision, something more than a Stevens concurrence. I demand conflict to be entertained. There have been a few close cases so far this term, but mostly things have been buzzing along merrily so far. I'm expecting some more close decisions in the coming weeks. I need my Scalia dissent fix.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile