« Home | Fly the Flag » | Do You People Really Think that Conflicts of Inter... » | A Few Words from Justice Thomas » | Federalist Society Meets in DC » | The McGee Family: Comedy Gold » | More on Alito and Recusal » | Point of Law » | Alito and Recusal » | Jackson v. Alito » | Election Stuff » 

Sunday, November 13, 2005 

My Addiction

I am not ashamed to admit this. It's a part of me; it's who I am. I am an addict. I am addicted to buying DVDs.

At first, it started small. I was a freshman in college and had just recently been exposed to the world of DVD. I had lived a sheltered life until then. Until that point, it was nothing but VHS tapes of questionable quality. Then I was introduced to those little shiny discs by a friend. He had a few. He got me to try one. I loved it. The picture quality, the sound, the documentaries, the audio commentaries, the deleted scenes... I was hooked immediately.

I got a DVD player and started buying my own discs. I bought a few right away, just to get a base collection down. But then I started spending more time on DVD websites, looking to see what titles were available. I bought a few more. Then a few more after that. Soon, I was getting a package every week containing 2 to 4 new DVDs. I compiled an alphabetized list of the discs that I wanted. I even ranked them with a 1 to 4 star system to denote which ones I wanted more. I started making lists of the upcoming releases, charting them months in advance. It was sick.

I'd like to say that I'm better now. But there is more to the story than just recovery. I work much less now, so I don't have the disposable income that I once had. I have also amassed such a huge collection that I own twice as many discs than I have on my to-buy list. Currently, I have 464 DVDs (and that is counting box sets as 1 DVD). I know. It's messed up. But as far as addictions go, it's not a bad one to have. I always have something to watch. I'm a very savvy shopper, so I get everything pretty cheap. I have never and will never own a Blockbuster card. And people always seem impressed (or shocked) by the collection.

And no, you can't borrow anything. I'm selfish.

EDIT: I'm also addicted to books. I haven't counted them all, but it's a pretty insane amount. Oddly enough, the books cost more than the DVDs. And people wonder why no one reads anymore...

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile