« Home | Here, Have an Opinion Piece » | The WI Law School One-Two Punch » | The Swap » | Celebrity Political Donations » | Constitution Day » | Are Sen. Schumer's Eyes Brown? » | I Hate Being Right All the Time » | The Chief is Dead » | My Big F'ing Hurricane Post » | Beer Review: Unibroue Don de Dieu » 

Friday, September 09, 2005 

I'll Get Around to It

I've been saying that a lot lately. If I had a "to do" pile, it would be Tower of Pisa-ing like crazy right now. It's time to do some house cleaning. I'm going to plow through two minor issues and highlight some coming attractions.

In the Tuesday issue of the Marquette Tribune, some poli sci professor (whose name I'm not going to find because digging the paper out of the trash is too much work) said that the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist was a "Neanderthal" before Sandra Day O'Connor was appointed to the Court. Those are some pretty strong words. I can't help but wonder if they weren't motivated by Rehnquist's dissent in Roe v Wade. You know what I think? People who view Supreme Court Justices only by their votes concerning abortion are narrow minded. Perhaps they could even be described as Neanderthals themselves. The abortion issue, while politically charged and important, is a tiny part of what the Court rules on. I wish people would quit using this as the one and only criterion for a Justice.

The Journal Sentinel had an editorial today opposing the concealed carry legislation. It's apparent that the editorial staff is full of gun-ophobes (that's not a word) who think that guns are intrinsically bad. They aren't. A gun in the hands of a good, decent person can save your life. And that legislation would demand that person be well trained also. But then again, I doubt the editorial staff included people who have to walk to their cars alone at night or own stores in bad neighborhoods. The Second Amendment is just as important as the First, my journalist friends. The Sixteenth is trash though.

Monday, the confirmation hearings for Judge Roberts start. I don't have classes on Mondays, so I will be firmly planted in front of the TV. I'm sure that I'll find something from each day of the hearings that is just mind blowingly stupid and post about it. I have no doubt that he will be confirmed. I'm interested to see who votes against him though. Will it be the 2008 presidential hopefuls? Or will they vote for him to show that they are moderate, reasonable people (and oppose the hell out of the next nominee)?

I bought a Lakefront Brewery variety pack containing 8 of their beers. I also picked up an Oktoberfest sampler pack (also 8 beers) since it is the season. And the reason for the season is pleasin'. The beer reviews will be flowing like wine. I stand by my belief that being a beer connoisseur is just as classy as being a wine connoisseur. Enjoy the good Oktoberfests while you can.

Bed time. I want to catch a few hours before Evidence.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile