« Home | Timing » | Ginsburg » | The Vote So Far » | An E-mail » | Get on the McConnell Train » | What Am I? » | Root, Root, Root for the Liberals » | You're My Boy, Bill » | Novak: Roberts Wins Big » | Bill Clinton » 

Friday, September 23, 2005 

Clash of the Titans

I saw a flyer in the lounge that said that Prof McAdams is going to debate Prof Moss (of the law school) about the Roberts Court and its future. I will reorganize my schedule so I can attend this. I would be able to tell you the date but I just got home so things are a bit blurry. It's at noon in room 307 in the law school though. I remember that much. I'll edit this post with the details. EDIT: It's on the 29th.

I am hereby offering my services to Prof McAdams as far as this debate. Research, tactics, whatever. (I'm joking. McAdams certainly doesn't need my help in this) I have a pretty good idea how Prof Moss will approach this, so I know where to get him on it. It will be a lot of "oh our labor/privacy/blah blah rights will be gone." You know, those "rights" that are nowhere in the Constitution but a handful of judges injected them? Yeah, those. Just defer to the text. That's what I always do. Ask where exactly that "right" is. Then it's all "Uh, well, uh, penumbras and uh, well it should be there!" I wouldn't expect that kind of befuddlement from Prof Moss though. He's a pretty sharp guy, he knows his stuff, and he's a lawyer. Lawyers like debating and arguing. I expect this debate to be pretty damn good.

The crux of this is that nothing much will change with just Roberts added to the Court. Nothing much will change with a conservative replacement for O'Connor. The change will come if Stevens or Ginsburg retires. Then there is an actual shift. Until then, it's just "the sky is falling" Ralph Neas BS. I really don't like Ralph Neas. Can you tell?

Well I have class in a few hours. Time to get ready for bed. Septembeer Fest is tomorrow night (I think) so I should have a story or two about that. Beer tastings are the new wine tastings. If I don't end up going, I'll just describe something interesting in my room. You'll read that. Right? Right?

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile