« Home | Network News is Dead » | Madison » | 100 Greatest Americans List » | Holy Matrimony » | Another View from Lebanon » | Attorney Accidentally Sues Himself » | Even Turley Agrees with Me on Pryor » | Excellent Legal Blog » | Stumping for Bill Pryor » | Newcastle Brown Ale and Other Items of Interest » 

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 

Chicken Fajitas, Piggery, and Such

Necessity can make you do anything. A year and a half ago, I couldn't make toast without royally fucking it up. Now, I can cook just about anything. Given ample time to make a marinade or a dry rub, I can cook a cat's asshole and make it tasty. I've really gotten passionate about cooking and wish I had more time to do it. My schedule limits me to a few self-made, genuinely home cooked meals a week. But they are damn worth it. Being able to prepare yourself a meal is a basic skill and I can't believe how many people my age can't do it.

Director Robert Rodriguez said, "Not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck." Take that as you will.

During Property this morning, I found a new favorite word: piggery. It is a place where pigs are raised or kept. It has a lot more charm than "pig sty" or anything similar. I'm not going to be able to run out the clock this semester in Property. Judging by our pace and who in my row has been called on, I'm going to be called on this week. Maybe Thursday, Friday for sure. It's not really a big deal because I always read for class and am well prepared, even when I know I won't get called on. I just like Property law, so I don't mind reading it. I've been called on three times in that class already and handled things well. There's just an uneasy feeling that you never really lose.

Most law professors teach using the Socratic Method. They call on someone, ask for the facts of whatever case we are discussing, the law applied by the court, the holding of the case, and the court's reasoning. Then the professor asks related questions, usually a few "what if's" that change the facts a bit. Some professors make you stand while you do this, some don't. It can be a bit unnerving to stand in front of 90 or so classmates while the professor grills your knowledge of modern contract rights or the Statute of Frauds. On the plus side, you lose any fear you have of speaking in public. You also improve your verbal skills and shit.

Well I have a little Con Law to read. Tomorrow we are going over Roe, Bowers, Griswold, and probably Lawrence on Thursday. I don't know if there will be one of those oh-so-fun abortion debates (yelling matches) but either way, it should be interesting. I have a pretty basic understanding of abortion law and right of privacy. This is one of the reasons I go to law school. I want to know this stuff. These are the rules of life, so to speak.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile