« Home | A Warning to Flag Burners » | New Marquette Blog » | My Kinda Party » | Rep. David Obey Makes Wisconsin Proud... » | There's This Thing Called the Second Amendment... » | Vacancies » | Let the Speculation and Rumors Continue » | "Sir, Can You Step off of the Sidewalk?" » | More Podcasts » | Supreme Court Podcasts » 

Saturday, February 11, 2006 

Beer Review: New Glarus Staghorn

I used a lull in tonight's episode of America and the Courts to make a beer run. My fridge has been devoid of beer for weeks. Yes, weeks. I'm fully stocked again and have two reviews for tonight.

First up is the New Glarus Staghorn. I'm a huge New Glarus fan in general. It's a great Wisconsin brewery with a pretty diverse menu. The first thing that I notice about the Staghorn is the color. It's got this amazing, bright red color. It's not a flat red either, it's sort of golden. The aroma is mildly hoppy and malty. It's not too overpowering, but it definitely smells like a good beer. The flavor is interesting because of how it develops. Initially, you taste almost nothing. As the beer passes over your tastebuds, they start to react. You can tell you're drinking something, but you can't really identify it. You swallow it and bam, flavor like nobody's business. It's a strong burst of roasted maltiness and a sharp bite of hops. The after taste lingers and heightens the subsequent drinks. The initial flavors become stronger and the finish is even better. This is an incredibly complex beer. It's also incredibly good.

Unfortunately, it's a seasonal so you might not be able to find it. I snagged the last six pack at the store. If you can find it, grab it. If you can find any of the New Glarus Unplugged series, buy those too. They are limited brews that may never be made again. Support your local brewer.

EDIT: Review #2 is going to be delayed. I'm going out.

EDIT #2: I need to go out more often. Thanks for the invite, Mark. I had a blast.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile