« Home | Post-Hearings Thoughts » | Beware of Federalists and Other Thoughts on the Fe... » | Beer Review: Samuel Adams Black Lager » | Honorable Person of the Day » | Back to School » | Court Rulings » | Supreme Court Profiles » | I Come Home to This Mess... » | Kennedy Flies Off the Handle » | How About Those Hearings, Huh? » 

Saturday, January 14, 2006 

Beer Review: Leinenkugel's Northwoods

How was your Friday the 13th? Mine sucked. Let's have some beer. Leinenkugel's Northwoods is in my pint glass tonight. I am a Leine's fan. If I'm going to a party or similar gathering and don't know exactly what I want to bring, I just go with a Leinenkugel product. Their beer is good, cheap, and available everywhere. It's a good standby.

I'm giving the Northwoods a try tonight. This same beer was once marketed as Leinenkugel's Limited, but has been Northwoods for as long as I can remember. The beer has a dark golden color, much darker than I expected. There isn't much of an aroma. There is more flavor in the initial taste than I expected. I was expecting something lighter. The flavor is rich and malty but not overpowering. The finish is clean and light. All of these factors (as well as other personal issues) have me quickly finishing this pint. The rich flavor makes you want to drink it, and the clean finish keeps the beer from lingering too heavily in your mouth and stomach.

This is what I would call a party beer. You're getting decent flavor at a relatively low cost. This is the 12 pack that you buy and take to your friend's cook out. Or it's the beer you drink on a Saturday night while watching the History Channel. Yeah, my life's pretty lame lately.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile