« Home | Supreme Court Profiles » | I Come Home to This Mess... » | Kennedy Flies Off the Handle » | How About Those Hearings, Huh? » | Hearing Aftermath » | Let the Fun Begin » | Busy » | Democratic Witnesses for the Alito Hearings » | Dentalgate Update » | Alito Support Letter » 

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 

Court Rulings

Two Supreme Court decisions were handed down recently, and I think they look pretty interesting. I'm going to read them this weekend and comment on them. I'd do it now, but I have a ton of reading for class tomorrow.

First is Brown v Sanders, a death penalty case from the 9th Circuit. The Court overruled the 9th Circuit (yeah, shocking). It is also the first 5-4 decision of the Roberts Court, with the Chief joining Justice Scalia's majority opinion.

Second is Volvo Trucks North America, Inc, v Reeder-Simco GMC, Inc., a case involving price discrimination. I listened to the audio of the oral arguments for this case. It was the first audio of Chief Justice Roberts that I could find, so I suffered through it. Sorry, the case itself wasn't very interesting. It is a 7-2 decision, with the majority written by Justice Ginsburg and a dissent by Justice Stevens joined by Justice Thomas. Interesting vote.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile