« Home | Senator Schumer, Have You No Shame? » | Beer Review: Goose Island Christmas Ale » | Beer Review: New Glarus Edel Pils » | Another Act of Vandalism in Response to The Warrior » | The Warrior » | Ayotte v Planned Parenthood » | Christmas Gifts for Law Students » | McCain-Feingold Strikes Again » | Wilson on Iraq » | Layer Cake » 

Friday, December 02, 2005 

The Shameless Ramsey Clark World Tour

Our crazy former Attorney General is in Iraq, ready to defend Saddam Hussein. Christopher Hitchens thinks it's just great, too. Personally, I'd go pro se before I hired Ramsey Clark as my attorney. I'll take my chances with my meager legal knowledge. Keep that goof away from my case.

Amongst other things, Saddam is being tried for the event that occurred in Dujail in 1982. He ordered the torture and murder of almost 150 men and boys after his motorcade was shot at near the town. Hitchens points out Clark's brilliant defense strategy...
In a recent BBC interview, he offered the excuse that Iraq was then fighting the Shiite nation of Iran:

He (Saddam) had this huge war going on, and you have to act firmly when you have an assassination attempt.

Just go back and read that again. Ramsey Clark believes that A) the massacre and torture did occur and B) that it was ordered by his client and C) that he was justified in ordering it and carrying it out. That is quite sufficiently breathtaking.
Amazing. I've never heard of a justifiable mass murder defense before this, but my knowledge in this area is quite limited.

Clark and Saddam deserve each other. Because I can't come up with a better closing, I'll copy and echo Hitchens'...
I meanwhile shall recline, happy in the knowledge that Saddam Hussein has engaged the services of an attorney who proclaims him to be guilty as charged.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile