« Home | Drought » | Sunday Insight » | Michael Yon » | George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation » | Scalia Slap at Franken » | No to the Alito Attack Ad » | What Happened in Prague? » | Daddy Kills Animals » | It's That Time of the Year » | Dweeby » 

Monday, November 28, 2005 

Layer Cake



I rarely give movie recommendations on here, but I have to give my stamp of approval to Layer Cake. It's a British crime drama about a cocaine dealer with a few hurdles in his way before his retirement. The director, Matthew Vaughn, was the producer of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Layer Cake is a lot like those movies: very British, kind of bloody, kind of funny, and full of memorable characters. I wasn't really thrilled with the ending, but the alternate endings are included on the DVD. The deleted scenes are cool. I'm surprised that so many of them were cut, especially since the movie is under 2 hours. The time really flies by. The pace never really lets up, so it's easy to get engrossed in the plot.

The highlight of the movie is Daniel Craig. Craig is the new James Bond. Being a huge Bond fan, I felt a need to learn who this guy was so I bought Layer Cake. I'm pretty impressed by Craig's acting and his style. He reminds me of Steve McQueen, a genuinely cool guy who isn't like the stereotypical cool guy. He's not the Fonz; it's more of a subdued cool. He seems like he's always in control. In spite of the blonde hair, he'll make a great Bond.

Definitely check out Layer Cake. And no, I won't let you borrow it.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile