« Home | Serenity » | Beer Review: Hacker-Pschorr Weisse » | "A cold heart is a dead heart..." » | Sunday Night » | Insomnia » | I'm So Scared of Guns! » | Judges and Opinion Writing » | Tin Foil Hat Theory » | Short Break » | New Blog » 

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 

Lobbying

I attended an interesting career panel today at school. I'm always interested to hear about alternative career routes for those of us who will one day have JDs. The whole working for a firm, writing legal memos for my superiors thing doesn't strike me as good times. It sounds pretty crappy honestly. To me, this whole law school thing is all about getting some valuable skills and then doing something challenging and exciting. Lobbying seems like a definite possibility.

I'm fairly interested in politics. Honestly, my interest has really lessened in the past few years. It's too much fighting for the sake of making the other guy look like bad. It's a lot like monkeys hurling crap at each other, hoping a nice handful hits the opponent square in the face. I get more out of reading Locke, Mill, and the Founders than any current political commentators. But enough of this digression.

Lobbying seems like an interesting way to put the law school skill set to work in a creative way. I would probably have a hard time lobbying for something that I didn't agree with though. It's easy to claim that you'd be able to turn off that part of your belief system, but I don't think I could do it. Even if I got a very nice salary from it, I would think less of myself.

I'm keeping my options open. This summer, I would love to do something in the political field, just to see if I liked it. It's one thing to be interested in it as an idea, but it's another to actually do it in practice day after day. It's an odd feeling to be almost 24 and have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile