« Home | Halloween Condi » | Lobbying » | Serenity » | Beer Review: Hacker-Pschorr Weisse » | "A cold heart is a dead heart..." » | Sunday Night » | Insomnia » | I'm So Scared of Guns! » | Judges and Opinion Writing » | Tin Foil Hat Theory » 

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 

Hitchens and Getting Galloway

In the latest installment of Christopher Hitchens' campaign against George Galloway, he highlights the juiciest portions of the report by the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. I can't come close to Hitchens in the rhetorical realm, so just read it. Here's my favorite part:
Yet this is the man who received wall-to-wall good press for insulting the Senate subcommittee in May, and who was later the subject of a fawning puff piece in the New York Times, and who was lionized by the anti-war movement when he came on a mendacious and demagogic tour of the country last month. I wonder if any of those who furnished him a platform will now have the grace to admit that they were hosting a man who is not just a pimp for fascism but one of its prostitutes as well.

Galloway is such a slimy guy. It's amazing how his demeanor and tone changes with the audience he is appearing in front of. When he and Hitchens had their debate a while back, Galloway was at his fire-and-brimstone best (worst). If I recall correctly, both men were on Bill Maher's show the Friday after the debate (I may be off, but it was very close in time). Galloway was subdued, almost neutered. He acted like the moderate victim, graciously taking the attacks from Hitchens with what could be called good humor. I think he realized that HBO and CSPAN get audiences of very different sizes.

I think it's clear that Galloway lied under oath. Hopefully, this discredits and shames him into obscurity. But I don't think that is a sure thing. We know how little some people think of the crime of perjury...

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile