« Home | Gay Parent Dodge » | Four Handed Down, Four New Grants » | Beer Review: Unibroue Trois Pistoles » | Beer Review: Flying Dog Tire Bite » | The Clock is Ticking » | Mr. Popular » | Alan Simpson on Judicial Nominees » | Beer Review: Samuel Adams Summer Ale » | The Big Players in the Roberts Court » | McCain's Constitution » 

Monday, May 15, 2006 

I Really Hate John McCain

This was part of his speech at Liberty University (gag), via Byron York at the Corner...
When I was a young man, I was quite infatuated with self-expression, and rightly so because, if memory conveniently serves, I was so much more eloquent, well-informed, and wiser than anyone else I knew. It seemed I understood the world and the purpose of life so much more profoundly than most people. I believed that to be especially true with many of my elders, people whose only accomplishment, as far as I could tell, was that they had been born before me, and, consequently, had suffered some number of years deprived of my insights. I had opinions on everything, and I was always right. I loved to argue, and I could become understandably belligerent with people who lacked the grace and intelligence to agree with me. With my superior qualities so obvious, it was an intolerable hardship to have to suffer fools gladly. So I rarely did. All their resistance to my brilliantly conceived and cogently argued views proved was that they possessed an inferior intellect and a weaker character than God had blessed me with, and I felt it was my clear duty to so inform them. It's a pity that there wasn'’t a blogosphere then. I would have felt very much at home in the medium.
Not much has changed, because McCain still thinks that he is "so much more eloquent, well-informed, and wiser than anyone else". He gets to cross out the First Amendment because he and Russ Feingold think it's a good idea. He's right, dammit. His policy judgment should scrap important guarantees of political expression. And anyone who disagrees with him is just an arrogant, blowhard asshole with an internet connection. McCain just can't stand criticism.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile