« Home | Bar Exam Failures » | Ginsburg: Hangin' On » | On Activism » | Guide to St. Patrick's Day » | Beer Review: New Glarus Yokel » | Getting It Right » | The Chief Speaks » | Roe v Wade... Now for Men! » | Changes » | Sykes Speech Becomes Sykes Op-Ed » 

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 

Former Thomas Clerk is New CJ of Colorado

Allison Eid was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court on Monday. Governor Bill Owens has been very blunt about why he chose her. He said the following when he originally appointed her as an Associate Justice...
"I did want to appoint a conservative, and I've done so."
You certainly can't argue otherwise, looking at her history. The article continues...
Between 1993 and 1994, she clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, and a year before that, she clerked for Judge Jerry E. Smith, a Ronald Reagan-picked Republican who sat on the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. Recently in Colorado, she served as the chief legal officer for Attorney General John Suthers, also a Republican.

She has published papers about, and she speaks regularly on, an issue near and dear to many Republicans - tort reform.
Justice Thomas was on hand for Eid's swearing in yesterday.The old article about her initial appointment reminded me of Colorado Senator Ken Salazar calling Justice Thomas "an abomination". That, in turn, reminded me of Senator Reid saying "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice." It's no secret that Justice Thomas is my favorite Supreme Court Justice (although the Chief is fast becoming one of my legal heroes). I would love to stop one of the aforementioned senators and ask them to name one opinion that Justice Thomas has written and why it was so horrid.

While those comments bother me, I really don't care in the end. Those two goons can bitch and moan all they want. Justice Thomas is 57 years old, the third youngest Justice on the Court, and isn't going anywhere soon. After what the Senate Judiciary Committee did to him, I think he revels in pissing them off all the time. The last laugh belongs to him, because he's not going anywhere and his clerks, like Chief Justice Eid, are in powerful positions all over the country.
Thomas laughs last.

Spot on. I was disgusted as I watched those hearings. What the Dems did to judge Bork drove me from that party forever. What they did to Thomas only solidified it. It was never a question of his judicial beliefs, it was about savaging him in front of the Nation. Yet, Mass. still votes for Kennedy.

I have this odd memory stuck in my head of being nine years old and sitting in the kitchen while my mom watched the Thomas hearings on our little black and white TV. I'm glad that I didn't understand what was going on back then or else I probably would've been livid. I was calling senators during the Alito hearings, and they were nothing compared to the Thomas hearings. I probably would've thrown that black and white TV out the window and into the street.

Post a Comment
Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile