« Home | Changes » | Sykes Speech Becomes Sykes Op-Ed » | Build the New Law School... Fast » | Fun with the Reuters/AP Photo Archives » | Roberts Court Plays Well with Others » | Today's Judge Sykes Events » | 121 People in Newfane, VT Want Impeachment » | Judge Sykes at MULS Today » | Beer Review: Lakefront Riverwest Stein » | Four Modest Proposals » 

Thursday, March 09, 2006 

Roe v Wade... Now for Men!

The National Center for Men filed a lawsuit today in federal court contending that lack of male reproductive rights violates the U.S. Constitution's equal protection clause. A few quotes from the article...
The gist of the argument: If a pregnant woman can choose among abortion, adoption or raising a child, a man involved in an unintended pregnancy should have the choice of declining the financial responsibilities of fatherhood. The activists involved hope to spark discussion even if they lose.
Why he's going to lose...
State courts have ruled in the past that any inequity experienced by men like Dubay is outweighed by society's interest in ensuring that children get financial support from two parents. Melanie Jacobs, a Michigan State University law professor, said the federal court might rule similarly in Dubay's case.

"The courts are trying to say it may not be so fair that this gentleman has to support a child he didn't want, but it's less fair to say society has to pay the support," she said.
The response...
"Roe says a woman can choose to have intimacy and still have control over subsequent consequences," he said. "No one has ever asked a federal court if that means men should have some similar say."
This lawsuit doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell, but it's still pretty intriguing.

Imagine that this did make it to the Supreme Court. Do you think that Justice Breyer or Justice Kennedy would cite this international law? They're such fans of scoping out what other countries are doing with their jurisprudence. Why not take into account that decision by the European Court of Human Rights?

Don't forget "Sleepy" Ginsburg also like International Law. She'd be offended if you left her out.

I didn't want to wake her.

Hey, cool new template! Looks good. I just recently changed my template too. Redid the whole thing. The last half of this week has been very busy, so I haven't posted much though. With spring break comming up, I should finally get a good opportunity to blog.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm going to mess around with the template a little or just keep it as is. I just got sick of having a Blogger default template that so many other people use.

Yeah, having the same template as 100,000 other people kinda takes something away. My blog colors have always pretty much been some variation of beige and olive green. I did all my graphics in Word and copied them into MS Paint. Very low tech compared to photoshop, but it gets the job done. If only there was a business admin class I could use to get a student discount on photoshop. (As if!)

I wish I had the time to draw and post alot more comics. That's why I originally started my blog. But drawing, scanning and editing line art takes a lot more time that typing text, something college consumes in massive amounts. Maybe I can do some comics next week.

I know the feeling. I have a list of things I'd like to do with my blog, but I just don't have the time. I have very limited knowledge about code, so everything has been slow going. When I do want to do new stuff, it's a much longer process than just posting. There's usually an element of learning (teaching myself, which can be a pain) in addition to the actual "thing" that I want to do. Like I said, change will be slow on here.

Post a Comment
Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile