« Home | Beer Review: New Glarus Fat Squirrel » | Mitt » | Judge Kozinski » | Two Items » | Summer So Far » | Monthly Self-Absorbed Post » | The Best Defense is a Good Offense » | Flashback: Roberts Hearing in 2003 » | That's It. My Life is Over. » | Mandatory John Roberts Post » 

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 

The Circle is Now Complete

From Volokh

I guess it is right that Roberts replaces O'Connor then. I still think that he's going to be named Chief when Rehnquist retires. Well, he will as long as he is the Justice that the president hopes that he is. If he is a huge failure, someone from outside the Court will be named Chief. I think Bush wants to appoint a young Chief, someone who will be on the Court for a long time. That is part of the reason why Scalia or Thomas won't be promoted. They both have more years in them but the name on the Court has a symbolic weight to it. And I think Roberts is the kind of guy that Bush wants as his legacy to the Court, eventually as Chief.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile