« Home | John Kerry is Not Smart » | D Day » | Volokh on the Court » | Oak Island » | WTF » | This Just In... » | Weird » | Source: Rehnquist to Step Down Soon, McConnell to ... » | Blurb on the Environment » | Amnesty International USA Leaders Aided Kerry » 

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 

Raich

As a member of the legal community, I feel obligated to give my views on Raich. The decision sucks. I'm totally against it. Let me start by saying that I hate the Commerce clause. Hate it. It's the worst part about Con Law in general because it is such a nebulous issue. We spent the better part of a month on it in class.

The best part about this whole thing is the vote. All of the liberal hippie NORML activists have a new hero in Justice Thomas. Irony: it's fantastic. Thomas' dissent is probably one of the more forceful dissents I've read recently. It's also one of the most clear and convincing dissents of late. The majority basically decided that the federal government can regulate any damn thing they want as long as they call it "commerce." It doesn't have to be commerce per se, just something they can call commerce. They extended the bullshit that is Wickard v Filburn because it would be wrong to limit the federal government in any rational or Constitutional way.

As far as medical marijuana itself, go nuts. Smoke, snort, or inject whatever the hell you want in the privacy of your own home. Matters not to me. As long as you don't harm anyone while under the influence of whatever the hell you put into yourself, I really don't care. If you want to inject heroin into your temple and die on your kitchen floor, you have my support.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile