« Home | Georgia Thompson Update » | JPS <3's AMK » | 7th Circuit Frees Thompson » | Greenburg on Bush v Gore and Justice Thomas » | What's My Name » | Esenberg on the WI Supreme Court » | Second Annual Hylton Rankings » | The Election » | "Today’'s decision is SCRAP for a new generation." » | Lots of Hot Air from the Court » 

Thursday, April 05, 2007 

Seventh Circuit Judicial Conference

The Seventh Circuit Bar Association and Judicial Conference will be descending on Milwaukee May 6 through the 8th. You can check out a PDF of the program here. The line up is unbelievable. Here are a few highlights that I find extremely interesting. First is a panel about the media and the Supreme Court...
9:45 AM – 10:45 AM Traditional Media's Coverage of the Supreme Court
Moderator: Mike Gousha, Distinguished Fellow in Law & Public Policy, Marquette University Law School
Panelists: Joan Biskupic (USA Today); David Savage (LA Times); Stephen Henderson
(Washington Bureau of McClatchy Newspapers); Professor Jonathan Turley (George
Washington Law School); Dean Joseph D. Kearney (Marquette University Law School)
Next is a legal blog panel...
11:00 AM – 12:15 PM The "New" Media: Bloggers and the Courts
Moderator: Honorable Diane S. Sykes, Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals
for the Seventh Circuit
Panelists: Professor Ann Althouse, University of Wisconsin Law School ("Althouse"); Howard Bashman, Law Offices
of Howard J. Bashman ("How Appealing"); Professor Jason Czarnezki, Marquette University Law School ("Empirical Legal
Studies"); Professor Richard Garnett, University of Notre Dame Law School ("Prawfsblog"); Professor Christine Hurt, University of Illinois College of Law ("Conglomerate"); and Professor Eugene Volokh, UCLA Law ("The Volokh Conspiracy")
Two of my former professors are on that panel. That's kind of cool. And I'm very familiar with the work of everyone else on the panel too.

I have a feeling that this debate is going to be excellent...
Debate: Constitutional Rights and Other Legal Issues in the War on Terror
Moderator: Honorable Frank H. Easterbrook, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Panelists: Honorable Richard A. Posner, Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; Professor Geoffrey R. Stone, University of Chicago Law School
Posner and Stone know each other very well, so I'm expecting the debate to be very polished and nuanced. I'm sure they won't hold back either.

And to end the night Monday...
Annual Reception & Dinner
Insights from the Supreme Court
Observations by Honorable John Paul Stevens, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court Special Presentation of the American Inns of Court Professionalism Award to Honorable Janine P. Geske, Distinguished Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School
Evening Address
United States Solicitor General Paul D. Clement
That's quite a line up: an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, the former Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the Solicitor General. Unfortunately, I am a broke law student, so I can't attend any of the food-related events. They're a little too pricey for me.

I'm also in a bit of a jam with scheduling. This event has been scheduled during the exam period here at MULS. I have an exam Monday night and Tuesday night. What to do, what to do... I'm going to see if I can fit a few of those panels into my schedule. I really want to go, but it might not be possible. School comes first. We'll see. If you can attend, I highly recommend that you do. This is quite the collection of brilliant legal minds.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile