« Home | In Honor of Valentine's Day » | Here's to You » | Walking on Allah » | Falwell: 2008 is About the Court » | Hands-On Con Law » | Fun at Depos » | "I Never Read Dissents" » | Bashman on Judges » | What Is in Leahy's Head » | Tommy at MULS » 

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 

State Supreme Court Election

This may come as a shock to many people, but we have a Supreme Court primary in a week. Next Tuesday, the field of three candidates will be knocked down to two. For those of you who really haven't been paying attention, the folks in the running are Judge Annette Ziegler, attorney Linda Clifford, and attorney Joseph Sommers. Letters in Bottles has a post that features a piece of campaign literature from the Sommers people. The flyer takes aim directly at Clifford. Aside from this flyer, the only other campaigning that I've seen or heard has been the radio commercials from the Ziegler people. The commercials are good for two reasons. One, they emphasize that Ziegler is the only judge in the race. And two, they say "Annette Ziegler" about 450 times in 30 seconds. Getting that name out there is important.

After the primary, I expect this race to really heat up. There is a lot at stake here. The retirement of Justice Wilcox puts a conservative seat up for grabs. On a court as closely divided as ours, every vote matters. Money is going to be poured into this state by various interest groups. Tons of attack ads will be run. Mud will be slung. It will be a grand olde election. When it's all said and done, the court will either be roughly where it was before or it will have shifted further to the left. Exciting, isn't it?

I probably won't post much about the race though. I feel a little weird about it, since I'm going to be a member of the bar soon (God willing). One should always be mindful of the toes they are about to step on. But I may change my mind. Anyone who has even the most superficial understanding of my legal views knows who I'm voting for anyway.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile