« Home | Cruz » | Crying at the FedSoc Conference? » | Scalia and Alito at the FedSoc Conference » | Huckabee: McCain-Feingold Benefits McCain » | Giuliani on Judges » | Beer Review: Leinenkugel's Apple Spice » | Beer Review: Shiner Bock » | George Will Takes on Reinhardt » | Friedman » | I Should Be in Oregon Tonight » 

Sunday, November 19, 2006 

Beer Review: Goose Island Honker's Ale

If a bar has Goose Island on tap, you will probably know it right away. The large goosehead taps are hard to miss. I recently sampled the Goose Island Honker's Ale from one of those goofy but endearing taps. It has a nice reddish-orange color. It's sort of a dark amber. There wasn't much head, so it looked kind of flat. I was a bit worried at that point. The aroma isn't incredibly strong, but the hops are noticeable. There are also some citrus scents drifting around in there as well. The taste really surprised me. I was expecting a very pronounced, bitter hop kick to the teeth. The hops are definitely there, but they are balanced perfectly with the malt flavors. It's strong enough to keep your taste buds interested but not so strong that it's a chore to drink. Sweet and bitter, when in the proper proportions, make for a very drinkable beer. If you can't stand bitter, this may not be for you. But I think it is accessible enough for most beer drinkers to get through without too much fuss. I would definitely pick up a six pack of this. I think it would pair well with a meal.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile