« Home | Dress Up » | The Day the Filth Died » | Scaliaversary » | The Death of Publicly Funded Elections » | Seventh Circuit and Reparations » | Court Issues New Grants » | The Major Court Battles on the Horizon » | Posner Speech » | Alito Honored » | Cheaters Never Win » 

Saturday, September 30, 2006 

Beer Review: Samuel Adams Octoberfest

Ah, Oktoberfest... my favorite time of the year. I love the crisp Fall weather and the multitude of new beers on the shelves of the stores and in the taps at the bars. Last night, I had a Samuel Adams Octoberfest with my dinner. Poured from the tap, there was not much head. The small amount of head dissipated rather quickly. The beer had a nice amber, reddish color. It's a little darker than most domestic Oc(k)toberfest brews, but that made it distinctive off the bat. The aroma was light, but that may also be on account of my cold. It was slightly malty and pleasant though (the aroma, not my cold).

The first taste is probably the best. It's got a nice, crisp bite to it. The flavor is a blend of roasted barley that gives the beer a caramel, almost sweet, flavor. Think "sweet" is the bready, grain sense. The finish is sort of malty, but fairly smooth overall. It's a decent beer that is somewhere between a lighter Summer brew and a heavier Winter beer. It's a transition beer. I would try it again, but I doubt I would want a six pack of it. It's good, but it's not something that I would want to drink the entire night. Although, it would be interesting in beer bread. Yes, you can make bread with beer and yes, I have done it. Maybe there will be a beer bread tutorial on here in the near future. We'll see.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile