« Home | I'm Trying to Not Take This Personally » | High Court Activity » | Beer Review: Lakefront Eastside Dark » | Something to Think About Today » | Top 10 Supreme Court Decisions to Reverse » | Alito... Not That Conservative? » | Doyle's Weak School Choice Plan » | Truce? Yes, says Star Jones » | UAW Ideas for Fixing the US Auto Industry » | In Defense of Wal-Mart » 

Monday, January 23, 2006 

Goals and Dreams

Everyone has a dream. We all have goals that we strive to achieve. Sometimes they are lofty and bold. Sometimes they are small but special to us. Whatever they are, they matter. I have a dream. That dream is to have a pet duck. Okay, I'm not aiming very high here, but I'd like a duck. I think they have great personalities and always look happy. I would love to have a duck running around the house. I would feed him bread and christen him with a name, possibly Rupert.

Anyway, I've got a problem. I live in the city of Milwaukee. This is a major metropolitan area and as such does not look kindly on the possession of water fowl. Thanks to my fine Marquette legal training, I've learned to never say die when it comes to matters of the law. I knew that my first step was to examine the relevant city ordinances. I took a look at the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances. Chapter 78 governs animals, and I'm focusing on 78-5 Keeping of Animals Within City. Here's what it says...
2. CERTAIN ANIMALS PROHIBITED
a. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person shall keep within the city, either temporarily or permanently, any live bees, fowl, cows, cattle, horses, sheep, swine, goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese or any other domesticated livestock provided, however that such animals or fowl may be kept at places approved by the commissioner for slaughtering, educational purposes, research purposes and for circuses or similar recreational events.
Now the question becomes how do I turn my house into a research lab...

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile