« Home | The Downfall of the Left » | Why I Love Marquette » | Activate the Drudge Siren! » | Alito Vote Coming Soon » | Oh No You Didn't... » | NYT Calls for Filibuster on Alito » | White House Sends New Nominations to the Senate » | Alito Update » | Walk for Life and Counter-Demonstration Photos » | Tribune to McAdams: Shut the Hell Up » 

Thursday, January 26, 2006 

Beer Review: Sprecher Hefe Weiss

I really haven't had many Sprecher beers. That's odd, considering that they are one of the few local breweries left. I've had more of their sodas, which are great, than their beers. I'm doing my best to try them when I can though. I had some Sprecher Hefe Weiss recently. Its color was consistent with other weiss beers and had a nice golden hue. It smelled sort of citrusy. Some weiss beers have that very crisp aroma that is so identifiable. I would rank the Sprecher's aroma as fairly average. The flavor left me wanting. I frequently drink weiss beers, so I know what to expect. The flavors are fairly subtle and light when compared to what I usually drink. The Sprecher Hefe Weiss was a little too subtle. It was just too light. I tried to heighten or augment what flavor it did have with a lemon slice (shut up, Mike), but even that didn't help. I ended up with more lemon flavor than beer flavor.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Sprecher Hefe Weiss. I won't totally give up on it though. I did have this on tap, so there's always the possibility that I was dealing with an old keg or a bar that doesn't clean its lines often. I'm sure I'll cross paths with it again. Until then, I'll stick with the Franziskaner if I want a hefe weiss.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile