« Home | Walk for Life and Counter-Demonstration Photos » | Tribune to McAdams: Shut the Hell Up » | More Voucher Responses » | "Inexorable Command" » | Marquette Makes the Top Ten... » | Alito Judiciary Committee Vote » | Touched a Nerve? » | Where Will You Threaten to Run Now? » | Goals and Dreams » | I'm Trying to Not Take This Personally » 

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 

Alito Update

It's 1:40 PM and Alito is up to 44 votes in the Senate. It's all over but Ralph Neas' crying.

EDIT: Watching Barbara Mikulski make a speech is physically painful for me. I can't wait to find a transcript of this rambling mess.

EDIT 2: Hillary Clinton just called Mikulski's remarks "eloquent" and "quick witted". If you want proof that Hillary is a liar, there you go. And Hillary is a "no" vote too.

EDIT 3: Hillary's also lying about why the Right was upset about the Miers nomination. She's on a roll.

EDIT 4: Kerry's up. If this guy had gotten elected, he could've been the one to replace Rehnquist and O'Connor. That's a thought that'll keep me up at night. Just imagine Justices Stephen Reinhardt and Kathleen Sullivan as the newest members of the Breyer Court. I'd probably have to quit law school and become a fisherman in Southeast Asia.

EDIT 5: Kerry says Bush could've nominated someone who would've got 100 votes. I want a name.

EDIT 6: Kerry's talking about Ann Coulter! Coulter's going to love this. Hey, wait a minute... graduate of University of Michigan Law School... member of the Order of the Coif... law review editor... Senate staffer to a Judiciary Committee member... Federalist Society member... Ann Coulter for the next Supreme Court vacancy!

Uh, I joke about things sometimes on here. I don't seriously mean that Coulter should be on the Supreme Court. Should I start italicizing everything that's meant to be humorous?

Why is expressing my opinion about Kathleen Sullivan a cheap shot? I would prefer that she not be on the Court. I can't have that opinion? She's an academic and a private lawyer. I want people on the Court with established judicial records. Even people that I tend to like (Paul Clement, Viet Dinh) should be appointed to a lower appeals court before they get considered for the Court. Being a judge is a totally different situation. You aren't arguing a side. You aren't writing a law review article. You're making important judgments that have far reaching effects. I'd like to see a judicial record before I support someone for the Court.

For the record if I was a senator, I would've vote for both Ginsburg and Breyer. While I don't agree with them all the time, I've read some of their lower court opinions and they are well reasoned and fair. I would've also voted against Harriet Miers.

Post a Comment
Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile