« Home | My Favorite Politician » | NEA » | Foreign Aid and Debt Relief » | Legal Chutzpah » | Not Him Again » | Sunstein and the Changing Court » | Dear God » | Al-Qaeda Attacks So Far » | See Ron Reagan Squirm » | Painful Oral Arguments » 

Saturday, July 16, 2005 

The Chief

Yeah, I took a two day break from updating. I did so for a few reasons. I really didn't feel like sitting in front of the computer. I didn't think much happened in the past few days. I got very drunk last Wednesday night. But I guess I should say something about Chief Justice Rehnquist staying on.

This is a huge boost for Bush. If there was a dual nomination going on, he would be under greater pressure to have one of the nominees be a moderate. Now, he can go with a stronger conservative. Why did the Chief do it? A few reasons. One, he knows that if he retires, he is pretty much dead. People who stop working, especially when they are old and ill, no longer have much of a reason to get up everyday. As long as his mind is sharp, he wants to work. Two, he loved being able to fuck with the press. He strung them along for so long, then pulled the rug out from under them. Three, he wanted to help the president. Many people forget that Rehnquist was assistant attorney general under Nixon. He is a party man. He knows that the dual nomination would be tougher. Hell, he was in the last one. Fourth, he wants to do his part for the Court. With a new justice coming on for the first time in over a decade, he wants a strong leader there to make sure the transition is smooth.

That's my impression of it. I could be wrong. I hope he makes it through the next term. Having to step down mid term or dying mid term would be a mess.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile