« Home | Tard Blog » | BEAT IT! » | Democrats and the South » | Lifestyles of the Supreme Court Justices » | Hurricanes will Kill Us All » | Pryor confirmed » | Is Environmentalism Dead? » | More on Raich » | Brown Confrimed » | Leave Norah Alone » 

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 

Tucker Max: My Inspiration

As if my last post wasn't bad enough, I gotta give some love to Tucker Max.

He's an internet legend and his site is full of great material. He's also a law school grad. Here's what he has to say about it in his FAQ:


If you aren't working as a lawyer, why did you get your JD?
I made a fucking mistake going to law school, OK, get off my back. There was a time in my life that I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but I was terribly mistaken. I didn't know that you had to give up your soul to work in that field.

Should I get my JD? What is your advice for someone thinking about going into law school?
Do you want to waste three years of your life debating stupid and utterly irrelevant minutia? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to get a degree that allows you work the rest of your life in a tedious, shitty, unrewarding job? Then yes, get your JD. Are you a boring, facile, socially retarded whore, desperate for the illusion of money and success, regardless of the cost to your life and the lives of those you love? Then yes, get your JD. Do you want to squander your existence sitting in a lifeless office, churning out ultimately meaningless paperwork? Then yes, get your JD. Listen to me people: There is a reason that lawyers have the LOWEST job satisfaction of any profession in America. THE JOB SUCKS. It is horrible. If you know any lawyers, ask yourself: Are they happy with their job or their life? 90% of the time, the answer will be no. If the answer to that question is yes, then ask yourself, "Do I like that person." The answer will be almost always be no. The only lawyers who like their jobs are the sketchy ones that are the reason lawyers jokes are so prevalent and popular. Do you want to be that person? If so, then yes, get your fucking JD.


He's right about law school. It blows. Seriously. It's an expensive and frustrating waste of time. Sitting next to me right now are two books, open to material on oral inter vivos trusts of land. Do you have any idea how fucking nitpicky this stuff is? Do you understand the amount of illogical rules and differences without distinctions here?

Right now, I'm not sure that I want to be a practicing lawyer. I need to get some actual experience (which I am working on finding now) before I make a judgment. The good thing is that a JD is treated like any other doctorate out in the business world. There are people who get their JD and never practice a day of law, yet are still successful. I went to a seminar at school last spring about that. These people end up running companies, working for politicians and policy groups, or any number of other things. I figure that I'm 28K in the hole right now, might as well finish this. But Tucker might just be right...

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile