« Home | Surprising Voter ID Developments » | Asset Forfeiture Reform in Oregon » | Supreme Court Poll » | Seventh Circuit and Voter ID » | Important New Trends in Property Rights » | Another Graceful PR Move by Marquette » | Say It Ain't So, Blade » | Today's Volokh Events » | Updates to Come » | Lunch with Volokh » 

Friday, October 20, 2006 

Another Supreme Court Poll

Above the Law has a fairly basic and straightforward poll: Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice? Deciding my vote in this poll took more thought and time than the Concurring Opinions poll about the biggest case this term. How does one pick a favorite? What criteria does one use? I'd say that my personal judicial philosophy is closest to that of Justice Thomas. That's very important, but I don't know if that's enough to make him my "favorite." Justice Scalia is an excellent writer and spokesman for originalism and textualism. He's definitely a contender.

In the end, I cast my vote for Chief Justice Roberts. I was very impressed with his first term as Chief and his performance during his confirmation hearings. His questioning at oral argument is usually very direct and probing. He's not one to degenerate into giving speeches, eating into the lawyers' time. That's probably because of his previous career as a Supreme Court litigator. His opinions are well written, clear, and crisp. He avoids fluff and excess. The Chief also has a great sense of humor that occasionally shows up in opinions, at oral argument, and in speeches. He also instituted the policy of same day oral argument transcripts being posted online. That's a big plus in my book. Currently, he's my favorite Justice. Go vote for yours.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile