« Home | Abortion Fight in South Dakota Begins » | Judge Posner: "Keep Your Pants On." » | Volokh on Funeral Picketing » | Beer Review: Leinenkugel's X » | Court Splits on Search Issue » | Foreign Law and the Supreme Court » | My Rules for Radicals » | Unanimity Continues » | Posner and the 4th Amendment » | MULS and the Censure Issue » 

Saturday, March 25, 2006 

Summer of Fear

As stated previously, my posting has been rather light lately. Sorry but I've been needed elsewhere. I am a second year law student (or a 2L in the vernacular of the law school world). During the summer between second and third year, you must get a law or legal-related job. You just have to, or else you're going to be screwed for the near future. Some of my classmates have managed to get law jobs already. Some of them (like me) need to have jobs to live and pay the bills, and those are not the kind of jobs that most law students can get in the profession.

What have I been doing with my time? Applications, and lots of them. It's stressful. I know that I'm only seriously in the running for a tiny amount of these positions. And honestly, there is only one that I really, really want. Will I get it? Stay tuned to find out. There is one other that would be good, but the rest aren't really that interesting to me. They are just jobs. I'd prefer to do something that I love. Well, I have to get back at it...

Keep at it. It'll be worth it in the end. You, however, already know that.

It's such a crappy experience to go through. Those of us who aren't in the top 10% of the class don't get the big firm, big money jobs out of school. We have to claw our way into the profession, hoping that we find something that clicks with us fairly soon.

I've got one thing on my side: I can shmooze like nobody's business. I'm pretty good at selling myself to people, keeping those awkward conversations moving, and all that other social stuff. The downside is that I don't get to do that in a resume/cover letter.

It's just a worrisome time, and finals are quickly approaching too. I need a vacation.

PS: If anyone wants to pay me to write for a legal news and analysis website full time, contact me.

Post a Comment
Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile