« Home | Rumsfeld v FAIR Oral Argument » | Kelo and Souter's Farm » | Belling Sides with Marquette » | MU Student Government Activity on Dental-gate » | Hewitt v Knight Ridder on Alito » | Slate and Judge Alito » | Ayotte Oral Argument » | Volokh on Dental-gate » | Marquette Blogger Rights » | Just Got Out of My Tax Exam... » 

Friday, December 09, 2005 

Officer Shaq

How about a little light-hearted legal news... Shaq's a cop now. That's right, the Miami Heat center is a sworn officer of the law. He's only a reserve officer but as the article points out...
The 7-foot-1 player will be able to carry a gun, wear a badge and make arrests, but with his celebrity status he most likely will not walk a beat or go undercover.
Yeah, I don't think the undercover work would be such a hot idea. First, he's a recognizable celebrity. Second, I severely doubt his acting abilities after seeing Blue Chips. It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember that it was a horrible film. It's shocking to think that anything starring Ed "Al Bundy" O'Neil could be bad, but even he couldn't save this train wreck.

The Miami PD is only paying Shaq $1 a year. I guess he really doesn't need to be paid the going wage of a cop. A lot of people may write this off as a guy trying to play cop, but I think it's pretty admirable. He wants to do something positive, he wants to help, and he's not doing this for the media attention. Best of luck, officer.

With all the crap going on this past week, I figured that a minor diversion would be a good thing. I'm planning a post about the Food Network too.

Post a Comment
Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile