« Home | Alito and Marsh » | Nino Strikes Back » | Randall Thoughts » | Chief Justice Dad » | Global Warming and the Court » | So Much to Read » | Year in Review... Almost » | Rehnquist Memorial Service » | McConnell on Breyer » | Ten Remain » 

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 

Court Does Not Mess with Texas (Almost)

The Supreme Court handed down a phone book, I mean, opinion today in League of United Latin American Citizens v Perry. This was more commonly known as the Texas Redistricting Case. Based on the summaries and news accounts, it looks like most of the districting plan was upheld by the Court. Claims of partisan gerrymandering just do not have enough votes for a win on the Court. As I pointed out in my post about the oral argument in this case, District 23 was the major problem. The Court said that this district did violate the Voting Rights Act.

The case produced 132 pages of opinions. Luckily, I have nothing to do this afternoon. The two other cases from today, Beard v Banks and Sanchez-Llamas v Oregon are on my back burner for now. I doubt I will be able to get to them for a while either.

Tomorrow, Hamdan. Justice Stevens will write for the Court, the government will lose, but no one knows how big the loss will be. That, like many other things, is in the hands of Anthony McLeod Kennedy. I have to work and then have a game, so there will probably be no updates tomorrow.

Edit Comment

About me

  • I'm Steve
  • From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
  • "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
  • E-mail Me
My profile